Mental Health Forums

Newly diagnosed with BDP - any help?

Hloula

Hi all 

I hope you are all well, I have in the last month been diagnosed with BPD and bipolar 2. I am not sure to be honest if the diagnosis is right but anything that supports me feeling 'normal' then I am more than happy to except any diagnosis. I have always known that they is something not quite right about myself, i don't seem to be emotionally any older than i was at age 10, things really hurt me on the inside that other people could not understand. I find it very hard to make decisions in my life and understand what i want in life, as i don't really know who i am, i suppose i just do what i believe i should want! I have many addiction issues now and in the past, however i have managed to just get it down to a food addiction! which does make me feel horrific and obviously means i am over weight and feel helpless in the battle of food. I find now i am older i prefer to spend time alone and have never enjoyed being in large groups having a few close friends. I have had bad relationships in the past but now have a mostly positive relationship with my boyfriend, the only negative part being my episodes!

So since being diagnosed i have been put on 100mg of an antipsychotic and in the beginning it seemed to make things a lot easier, sleeping well, calmer and days felt longer with more focus on achieving day to day tasks easier. I even manage to eat healthily! This seems to have worn off and i just feel like me again. I am actually off work at the moment as i have a slight sore throat and cough (not major enough to really be off work) but i am just laying in bed eating rubbish, i am emotional and crying at day time TV. Am i on a low? i feel frustration in my chest like something is going to break out it, even as i write this i feel like a drama queen!!! If someone could help me explain what the antipsychotics are supposed to do then that would be really helpful as that is the bit i am most confused about at the moment!!! I am also on 50mg of sterling (ssri) which i will be getting weaned off shorty. Anyone that can shed some light on what the meds are supposed to do i would be more than appreciated!!!

xxx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I'm also newly diagnosed with a PD (probably BPD with a probable mixture of some AvPD).  I've been on a waiting list for over 12 months now to get treatment for the BPD...  It took 18 months to actually be assessed.  I've also had some anti-psychotics thrown at me and have been on SSRIs since I was a child.  I currently have addiction and impulse control issues.

I'm no expert but anti-psychotics can be used to help the brain restore a balance of certain chemicals which are linked to mood and perception.  They are supposed to help prevent emotions and sensations becoming too extreme... either too high or too low... With regards to bi-polar they help prevent the manic episodes but, to my knowledge, don't have a great effect on the depressive episodes.  This is where the SSRI might help in lifting your mood.

I can totally sympathise with your confusion...

Archived