Mental Health Forums

Nightmares or day terrors trauma

Phychobitch89

Woke up in complete terror drenched in sweat ready to attachk someone felt like I was fighting for my life. Feel scared. Confused. Why am I haven't these horrible nightmares I am doin all my homework trying to build on empathy and my faults but these sleep terrors are so horrible waking up on my own. there is no one to help me from my own dreams Any advice?

When your working through stuff, it may come out in your dreams, sometimes they will get worse and then eventually better. When I'm processing stuff, doing my homework etc from T's I dream quite a bit and normally I don't dream at all.

Its scary but maybe its a good sign that your working through some of the stuff that's happened :) Hope you feel better soon

Wow that's excellent advice Thanks you have made me feel a lot better about it. Hopefully your right and I might be getting somewhere. Such lovely people on this forum so grateful :) thank you x

• 5 months later...

I go through phases of that too, and then it gets better.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that I've found ways to realise I'm dreaming, so I can control my dreams better.  Like I'll notice I can do things like fly or something, so I know I'm dreaming.  Once I know I'm dreaming, I can change what's happening.  It's basically lucid dreaming, where your brain is aware you're dreaming and has more control than when it doesn't know you're dreaming.  Does that make sense?

So yeah, I've become better at realising I'm dreaming over the years, so when I'm having a nightmare, I can find a way out of it - even if it just means concentrating hard enough to wake myself up.  It's not easy, and takes years, but being able to do what you want in dreams is very handy in resolving conflict in your dreams.  I know some people have tried to do it and can't, but maybe it's worth a go?

Archived