Mental Health Forums

In jail with chronic anxiety

Auret

Hi I'm new here and will keep this short I'm not looking for sympathy but any advice on ways I can reduce my anxiety levels in a restricted environment 

I do yoga it helps I try meditation but still find it difficult to stop the negative thoughts coming 

Any tips on how to meditate will be gladly accepted 

On a good day I want to help others with their issues 

Thanks for reading 

I find mindfulness meditation helps, doing one thing in the moment walk and focusing on just one foot in front of the other, the weight of your step, or mindful awareness of each stride. I imagine it is hard to feel safe in your environment and that only adds to the anxiety. I find it easy to meditate when I am ready for sleep. Like being the gate keeper of your thoughts. Watching each approach and pass on, not judging them or stopping them at the gate just observing them as a thought. I first started practicing mindfulness washing my hair because it each the only moment I could find where there was literally nothing else I could be doing.

I hope some of that helps?

Try putting your hand on your heart and feel your heartbeat. It's constant and like a little drum inside of you.

I'm sorry to hear that you are in such a harsh environment where there isn't any love, that must be terrible. Sending you good vibes. The heart will love you if you put your hand on it and listen to it. Maybe do it in bed. sending love to you

How did I forget the hand on heart? Yes, such good advice, I am glad you posted about Workingthrough. Sending love your way as well, let us know how you are getting on, ((hugs)).

How did I forget the hand on heart? Yes, such good advice, I am glad you posted about Workingthrough. Sending love your way as well, let us know how you are getting on, ((hugs)).

thank you :)

OK will do thanks!  It's small tips like that which can make a huge difference 

Jail is a lonely and loveless place. 

How are you getting on Auret?

Thanks for asking SW

Every day is a struggle but I know Im not alone in that respect

Im in a third world country so extra hard    

Hand on heart is very comforting 

Hi Auret

You are in a third world jail?

That must be a real struggle, even worse than UK jails.

I am glad that you find the hand on heart very comforting.

If you feel upto it, you can tell us a bit more about your stay in jail, but only if you feel well enough.

Thanks for asking SW

Every day is a struggle but I know Im not alone in that respect

Im in a third world country so extra hard    

Hand on heart is very comforting 

Hi Auret

You are in a third world jail?

That must be a real struggle, even worse than UK jails.

I am glad that you find the hand on heart very comforting.

If you feel upto it, you can tell us a bit more about your stay in jail, but only if you feel well enough.

yes I will a bit at a time and when Wi-Fi is working 

I could say a lot about life in jail but I know I would be catering for an audience of about 5 and besides, I  got nothing inspiring or helpful to say. 

This is a nice forum but has the same problem all mental health forums have. Many join needing support but drift off when it is not forthcoming. Very few have the capability to give support on a continual basis and I respect them very much. 

Hopefully I will be out of this hell soon and more able to offer support to others 

I could say a lot about life in jail but I know I would be catering for an audience of about 5 and besides, I  got nothing inspiring or helpful to say. 

This is a nice forum but has the same problem all mental health forums have. Many join needing support but drift off when it is not forthcoming. Very few have the capability to give support on a continual basis and I respect them very much. 

Hopefully I will be out of this hell soon and more able to offer support to others 

The audience would include me. I would imagine life to be harder than I can imagine, living in a third world jail, and while I don't relish the thought of human suffering, I enjoy reading people's personal accounts of their experience and how they cope or adapt. I remember reading about the experience of that member of the Russian girl band 'pussy riot' (sorry, I don't remember her name), and her experience of life in a Russian jail, and I remember thinking how strong she must have been to survive, as it sounded really tough.I never coped with sharing a bedroom with my sisters, let alone, being locked up in prison in a third world country. Please don't feel obligedto write about it, until you feel ready. Sending good vibes your way and hope you get out as soon as possible.

Archived