Mental Health Forums

Recently Diagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder

Minnie.Mouse

I was in a really bad car accident because I was huffing air duster behind the wheel. I broke my neck, both my legs, and shattered my right ankle. I have recovered a lot better than they thought I would, since they thought I would remain partially paralyzed and now I am walking. However, my physical recovery doesn't account for my mental status. I knew something was wrong with me, I tried and tried to get a psychiatrist but I couldn't afford one, so I just slipped deeper into the drugs. I did a lot of research prior to the accident and I thought that I had borderline personality disorder, but I was admitted to a psychiatric hospital for suicidal ideation where they diagnosed me as bipolar. Since the accident, I have been admitted to a rehabilitation facility to regain my physical strength, and I was finally diagnosed as a borderline. Now, I am stuck and I don't know where to go or what to do. Any useful ideas??

Hi Minnie welcome to the site.

sorry to hear about your accident, I'm glad you have recovered better than expected.

what country are you from? I am in the UK and there are several NHS based services that don't require people to be able to pay,

wherever you are I think a good first step would be to find out exactly what services for support are in your area, you may find there are some that are sponsored or charity run that can offer you free support.

what is your own support network like? do you have friends or family who are helping you?

hopefully you find it helpful to post on here and can find some support.

wishing you well.

regards

Rob.

Hi Minnie,

BPD is tough to manage, but there are multiple resources that can help you - I recommend you try different approaches (DBT, relaxation, mindfullness and others) in parallel to medication. If you live in a country where access to psychological support is hard to come by, most of the approaches I mention are 'self-help' based - without the hlp of a therapist, they require more discipline and work on our part, but you will, in the long run, notice benefits. I have a blog where I discuss the many different forms of self-help 'therapies' I tried - take a look: https://bpdforum.wordpress.com/

Sorry to hear of your accident , I fell of a cliff while out fishing , when I was 47 , now eleven years on and a further 3 falls on concrete my legs are not good very hard to walk on , I have to use morphine to walk, so I find my physical disability does impact on my BPD which I have had now for 15 years , I have seen many psychiatrist  over the years they have told me there is no cure for my severe BPD. in the early days I had two CPN s , to help me understand the mood swings , I do find meditation a help , and setting myself strict rules , I know what makes my BPD tick now and have learnt how to minimize its affects , don't put your hand in a fire you will get burnt so don't put yourself in a situation which you cant control . the mood swings I have are momentary , deep depressed in the morning and then laughing out loud at night , I have the same symptoms now as day one of my illness , I hate pity and self pity, when I meet up with the mental heath team in my area the last thing they talk about is my BPD , they know what I know . my advice to a newbie is do not talk about your borderline to people with no knowledge of mental health , smile at folk in public , or just a hello , don't engage conversation unless you trust them , BPD is very hard to deal with , but you can have happy times .

Archived