Mental Health Forums

Pain

Eagleheart

My chronic pain is making me feel suicidal.

My GP seems to think I exaggerate how bad the pain is. He is very reticent about giving me decent pain meds. He grudgingly let's me have Dihydrocodeine but doesn't like me taking it. It has stopped working so well and my health has deteriorated to the point that I just sit and weep from the intensity of the pain. I think I need oramorph for these intense episodes of pain but there's no way he will prescribe it.

What am I meant to do? Just grit my teeth and endure pain that would floor a lot of people??

Don't I deserve decent healthcare?????

I am really sorry to hear this is how you feel Eagle.  I can empathise with the pain issue, I have just come out of hospital and they discharged me with woefully inadequate pain relief.  Pain is so draining and has a massive impact on mental health.  Of course you deserve decent healthcare.  I think any GP would be reluctant to prescribe oramorph but maybe if this GP is being dismissive of the degree of pain you are in you could try seeing another one at the practice?

Sorry, I am not feeling great myself so hope this makes sense.  I will respond to your PM as soon as I can manage too - thanks for your message.  For me it is bed now. 

Thinking of you xxx

Artemis,your reply means the world to me because I know you are feeling dreadful yourself. So thank you for your compassion. Love & hugs coming your way.xoxoxo

On 20/03/2016 at 10:38 PM, Eagleheart said:

My chronic pain is making me feel suicidal.

My GP seems to think I exaggerate how bad the pain is. He is very reticent about giving me decent pain meds. He grudgingly let's me have Dihydrocodeine but doesn't like me taking it. It has stopped working so well and my health has deteriorated to the point that I just sit and weep from the intensity of the pain. I think I need oramorph for these intense episodes of pain but there's no way he will prescribe it.

What am I meant to do? Just grit my teeth and endure pain that would floor a lot of people??

Don't I deserve decent healthcare?????

Get a different doctor, and keep trying until you get one that listens.

Tell them that you have no quality of life.

There are plenty pain meds they can give you that will give you quality of life.

Not everyone gets addicted to pain meds, only a small percentage of vietman vets got addicted to pain meds even though they all took them, it depends on if you have emotional pain to start with, becausee addiction is related to emotional pain.

Thanks so much for your reply. I need to find the energy to organise a GP appointment ( they are always booked up for weeks) ,& try to be calm and coherent which I find difficult as I feel intimidated by authority figures.

Having said all that,I know I need to go & demand adequate pain meds. Thanks for your input. I find it very helpful. Hope you're OK.xxx

On 05/04/2016 at 9:43 PM, Eagleheart said:

Thanks so much for your reply. I need to find the energy to organise a GP appointment ( they are always booked up for weeks) ,& try to be calm and coherent which I find difficult as I feel intimidated by authority figures.

Having said all that,I know I need to go & demand adequate pain meds. Thanks for your input. I find it very helpful. Hope you're OK.xxx

Are there any chariries that deal with pain? Could you have a look online and see if there any forums that are for people suffering with pain?

I know what you mean about GP's and authority figures, I am the same. Two of my faovurite GP's have left the surgery and I now have to form a trusting relationship with another GP or two. Could you write to the surgery to air your concerns? I find the reception staff in our surgery extremely helpful. I know doctors are busy and thats why they can seem stressed. I find that if I le them know they are busy it helps me in my head, because I have taken a compassionate step towards them.

Successful_workthru, thanks so much for all your very helpful suggestions. I joined a fibro forum and have to say it's been a very supportive,helpful place. I've actually made friends with several of the ladies there and found a very special girl who has become like a soul mate. I find it very hard to make friends but they are a lovely bunch.

I still need to arrange a GP appointment. I'm working my way up to it!!

I hope things are going well for you. I know it's a hard journey.

Thanks again.xxx

17 hours ago, Eagleheart said:

Successful_workthru, thanks so much for all your very helpful suggestions. I joined a fibro forum and have to say it's been a very supportive,helpful place. I've actually made friends with several of the ladies there and found a very special girl who has become like a soul mate. I find it very hard to make friends but they are a lovely bunch.

I still need to arrange a GP appointment. I'm working my way up to it!!

I hope things are going well for you. I know it's a hard journey.

Thanks again.xxx

Glad you found the fibro forum, they probably have tips to help, forums are great for that. You also meet people and forge onine friendships that an last years. Ive met some onine friends offline too and they are great.

Good luck with working  your way upto your GP appt, The time will come when you feel right. WRite down all teh positive stuff it will encourage you. IT is a hard journey. I keep forgettign to tell my cpn important things like I was physically and psychologically abused dailyu for years and I have no diagnosis.

Archived