Mental Health Forums

Anxiety

melinda

I have been trying to practice driving. I have my licence, but I didn't drive for a year, and now I need to learn. But every time I get in the car I get anxious. I know how to drive, but I get so anxious I can't breathe.

Now I think this issue might be related to something else.

Last week my boyfriend stayed with me in my apartment, and it was great to have him here. I'm happy and I feel safe when. He is here. But this week he had to go home, and I started having nightmares, about being hurt, robbed, and people invading my apartment. I woke up so scared, couldn't sleep anymore.

I'm scared to walk on the street, or to meet new people, or being alone at home.

I'm terrified to get hurt again. I don't wanna go through that again. 

Don't know how to get pass this. I really need to be able to drive.

:crying::crying_anim:

Hi Melinda , nice to meet you :)

Is the thing you most want to do right now 're-learn' to drive? (I just ask because you mentioned several things above).  If so - my immediate thought was can you ask someone to sit in the car with you as you practise? Someone supportive I mean, not someone who is going to criticise or start teaching you again - maybe your boyfriend?  I think you'll probably find that you remember more than you think about how to do it once you have driven a little bit.  I totally understand the anxiety about it though.

I am not sure exactly what events in your past you don't want to happen again as I don't know you well, and I don't want to assume, but it sounds like perhaps you could get support from victim support if it was a physical attack or crime...

Are you in touch with any mental health services for your anxiety? If not, could you go and see your GP - even with a letter explaining things so you don't have to vocalise it? Again, perhaps you could take your boyfriend for support? If you can get help then slowly you will feel more comfortable being alone and not having to depend on others to feel calmer.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I hear how anxious and worried you are, it must be exhausting.

Archived