Mental Health Forums

Please Help

lvlyldy

Anyone help

I've been suffering with severe depression for almost 9 years. I was on 8 different types of meds all for depression none worked. I have recently been diagnosed with borderline.

I have been going through a real downer phase this past few days I'm just so tearful all the time. I read somewhere about mood stabilisers.

Does anyone take them?

Can anyone help?

I don't want to go back to anti d's, but feel if I could just stop crying all the time, I could start to heal. I'm just feel so stressed out.

sry lyvydy i take anti psychotics and they act like a mood stabiler and a anti d some of them do.. ive just come out of a D eposide so know what your feeling..

maybe see if your doc will try you with anti P or even a mood stabiliser.. may work..

hope things work out..

take care..

I have an anti-psychotic/mood stabiliser to take as my PRN medication, it helps when i'm really bad, but just by making me too dopey to act on how I am feeling.

Talk to your Dr mate to see what's best for you.

Thank you BB & Cal

Just knowing that people understand what it feels like and take the time and trouble to reply helps a little.

Therapist said to make an appointment with GP, I just cried my way through the session today.

Sorry I'm babbling, I'm just all over the place emotionally at this time.

sorry you are having a bad time,I take promazine,it just zonks me out from feeling anything,I suspect there is probaly some other better med,definately talk it over with doc as soon as possible.

Patricia

My psych has recommended lamotrigene--a epilepsy drug-used in psychiatry as a mood stabilizer-also raises mood. i haven't tried it yet. Why happened with anti depressants in the past?

I take zonegran which is also a drug used to stop seizures but is also used as a mood stabilizer and does raise my mood. It was added to my other medications to help with self harm and has been effective. I like it.

lamotrigene/lamictal. Yup, thats what they have been trying to get me to take for ages. Though to be honest until they can decide as to just why they wish me to swallow something with such potentialy danferous side effects I am not to keen.

Though it does sound interesting and there have been some good reports (So I am told)

Caz,let me know if you decide to go ahead.

BB & Cal........... thanks for the hugs.

PP, Caz, Verb, Ext.......... hhhmmmmnnn don't think I like the sound of them. I was kinda hoping for something that would raise the mood but not zonk me out.

The Anti d's drained all my energy, I still cried for hours everyday while on them. The last ones, Effexor, made me feel suicidal. I feel my mind is a lot clearer since coming off them. I lost the 35lb weight gain too, I really feel so much healthier off them.

I still get very emotional, not to the same extent ........ now actually have some cry free days ;)

Thanks everyone for your imput, don't think I'll bother asking doc for them.

L.

Hi lvlyldy

I'm sorry to hear you're still struggling after all these years, I've had Depression 6yrs & think I have BPD. I tried three months on lamotrigine/Lamictal, which is used as a mood stabiliser, it didn't work for me but apparently it's a very good one. It could be worth talking about to whoever provides your medical care, dya have a Psychiatrist? Also, have you had or tried Psychotherapy? I'd definitely mention them to your Dr, gl xxx

I take Lamictal ((450mgs/day) which stops me from cycling into a depressive mode and Lithium (1200mgs/day)to stop cycling into mania. Both are used for bipolar I but are now being used with bpd. I hear and have read that the results are good.......... I also augment my medications with Wellbutrin (450mgs/day). I use the med for the depressive states. Once I get there it helps to boost me up without throwing me in to a cycle of mania.

Vicious cycle.

Good luck.

Thanks everybody for your thoughtful and informative replies.

Desire ....... I have recently started to see a psychologist for counselling, had a psychaitrist(trainee), when she heard I had started to see the counsellor, she said well there is no point in you coming back here then, is there? I just agreed, she doesn't know me, nor by her attitude does she care about the patients she treats.

Just wondered if there were any types that just lifted the mood without the zombie effect.

Maybe I shall try a herbalist.

L.

lvlyldy, none of the meds I am on make me feel like a

zombie, and they do regulate and lift my mood. I work

full time, take a class and take care of a house and

go to therapy appointments. They do help.

Wellbutrin X 2 + Xanax + Seroquel X 2 + Zonegran + Good Therapy = Happy Ann!

You never knew the bad, hopeless, sad, suicidal, mad, Ann, but I've no doubt

that if I quit my medication she would return.

XXX

Ann

I take Lamictal 300mg. It takes a little while to get to a theraputic dosage. But for most, once you are between 100 and 200mg you can tell the difference. We are all different as far as meds go - what will work, what won't but I have been told by many that it's a "miracle drug". I could also be a spokesperson for Wellbutrin, I take 450mg.

Good luck

Amy

I take mitazepine which is a completely different group of anti d's to the ssri's effexor, prozac etc. It has worked for me although I am on a dose higher than licenced.I also take lamotragine and seroquel as mood stabalisers. I discharged myself from my pdoc about 18 months ago and I spiraled downhill as my gp was just stumbling in the dark and didn't have the knowledge a pdoc has. I would ask to be rerefered to pdoc

good luck

Mrs Tree

Archived