Mental Health Forums

Giving In

Betsy

okay i am going to give in... i am going to go back on meds..i dont want to... i dont know why i cant be normal without them........whats the use anyway...when aklt hree of your psych support say you need them maybe you do.. i just dont like the idea.. did okay for so long without them why do i have to have them now...maybe id be beter off without them and just letting nature take it ocurse... i feel so defeated doing this

bets

Maybe you do. I don't have meds - we talked about it, then I chickened out. Then when I get to feeling really bad, I wish I had them. So I don't know what the answer is. Do your meds target a specific symptom? Anxiety, or depression, God all I want is a med for emptiness. I wish you could have your way, Bets, whatever that would be - and I wish I could too. :(

Verbena

Bets,

Its not giving in, it isn't being defeatest. If you need something even if it just takes the edge off then it ok to take it, You are still you, what the definition of normal is i'm not sure :lol:

If it were diabetic or heart medicine etc there would be no questions, just because it is psych meds doesnt make a difference, if it helps then take it.

((((((((( bets ))))))))))))

tc

em xxx

Bets I know just how u feel. I took myself off all my meds and I last ok for a couple of weeks but now i am thinking that maybe they were actually doing something to help and I do actually need them. I feel the same, I wish I could get by without them but as em said, if it was a physical problem there wouldn't be such an issue. I feel defeated too but I guess if they hold us together and we need them perhaps its the best thing to do.

Let me know what u decide. I saw my therapist today and she said to try and stay off them a bit longer cos it might get better. Thats what ppl are always saying...it might get better. But its getting worse day by day so who knows what the answer is. Don't see it as giving in though, see it as fighting and trying to get better.

Hugs xxx

funny for me they say it isnt going to get better,,, chem imbalance in brains dont improve on their own...

maybe we need to switch therapists!

bets

Betsy,

If you are deciding to go back on meds, what is wrong with that? It doesn't mean you have failed or anything, it just means that you have chosen to take something that you need to make yourself feel better, end of story!

My psychiatrist said to me last year that anti-depressants only do about 10 to 20% of the work, and that I needed to do the rest, I still will never know what made me start to feel better as I was having all sorst of other help as well as the meds.

If you know by not taking them, that it's doing you more harm than good, then theres your answer! It does not mean your any less than the person you are, just because your taking medication. Feel proud of yourself for realising you need something and doing something about it.

I read your message as a positive not a negative.

xx

I felt that way too, over the past 10 years i'd have periods of being on meds usually 12-18 months then tell myself i was ok and come off them only til about 6 months later when i couldnt cope anymore and go back on them, i hated myself for being so weak. but i have come to realise that being on meds makes my life easier and i try and look at it the way i do my asthma, i need my inhalers to breath normally just like i need my prozac to function better.

flippy

hey..this is my first time on here, but I'm glad I came across you topic. I've been on several meds, and I felt like such a lab rat. I always took them at first and got all excited and couldn't wait for them to kick in..I thought maybe this is the cure!!! Of course that was never the complete answer, but like alot of the other replys I'm hearing, I always took myself off, and things always got increasingly worse. Most of the time I was using other street drugs while "playing" with my meds, and I was more out of whack than normal..I'm bullheaded as hell, but why live feeling like shit when wonderful doctors spent a long time making something so simple that can make sucha huge difference! I say go for it, and dont get down on yourself, mental illness is just as unavoidable as cancer, or the flu..It's the same principle!!!

Good Luck bets!!!! ps-if anybody is feeling friendly, please reply to my topic..it's labled confused..I'd really appreciate it! :D

hey..this is my first time on here, but I'm glad I came across you topic. I've been on several meds, and I felt like such a lab rat. I always took them at first and got all excited and couldn't wait for them to kick in..I thought maybe this is the cure!!! Of course that was never the complete answer, but like alot of the other replys I'm hearing, I always took myself off, and things always got increasingly worse. Most of the time I was using other street drugs while "playing" with my meds, and I was more out of whack than normal..I'm bullheaded as hell, but why live feeling like shit when wonderful doctors spent a long time making something so simple that can make sucha huge difference! I say go for it, and dont get down on yourself, mental illness is just as unavoidable as cancer, or the flu..It's the same principle!!!

Good Luck bets!!!! ps-if anybody is feeling friendly, please reply to my topic..it's labled confused..I'd really appreciate it! :D

bets, babe, its not giving in like the others have said. let me tell you something i get to the point at times where i want to stop taking my meds im on so many. im on psych meds, asthma meds, stomach meds, epilepsy meds. im on more meds than the people i look after and sometimes i wonder if i should be in their position with them looking after me. i think id rattle if someone shook me. but then i know id go down hill sooner or later because it happened to me. i stopped taking my meds in january and i slipped slowly down into a deep depression and ended up in hospital and self harming after not self harming for almost 10months. so for me it was time to go back on meds and get back to normal which i have now balanced out - normalised hahahahah

im glad you decided to go back on your meds, but it needs to be your choice mate otherwise are you really going to be compliant with it?? sorry to be frank, but i have to ask the question. whats the point taking it other wise, you know what i mean? so please think about it and make sure youre doing this for you and not anyone else. but it is a good idea i believe ok mate. you know i cherish our friendship and i want to do everything i can to preserve it.

luv ya lots

rag

Archived