Mental Health Forums

Does Being Borderline Stop You?

Flying fish

Done so well today (unusual) doing vol work in the field I would love to get into -Midwifery. Anyone know of official restrictions on people diagnosed with BPD getting a decent career? Have wanted to do this for years, still not well enough yet, keep hoping I will be one day. Similar experiences anyone?

Your accomplishments will further you.

I would only look at it that way. I

wouldn't look at what would limit me.

The time you put in, your dedication,

professionalism and skill should be the

determining factors - not your mental health.

In the states, most alcohol counselors are

recovering alcoholics. I don't know why a

recovering BPD couldn't be anything she

wants to and is suited to.

Your accomplishments will further you.

I would only look at it that way. I

wouldn't look at what would limit me.

The time you put in, your dedication,

professionalism and skill should be the

determining factors - not your mental health.

In the states, most alcohol counselors are

recovering alcoholics. I don't know why a

recovering BPD couldn't be anything she

wants to and is suited to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldnt have said it better. Striving to be our best is the best recovery for BPD. Showing ourselves that we can do anything we want to as long as we work hard for it and give ourselves pats on the back when we do.

In many ways it is my job that offers any kind of hope for me- It gives me structure and makes me stop thinking about myself and how I am feeling all the time.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, you said a mouthful! Thats what I need....

Linda

You can do almost anything. All it takes is dedication and staying on your medicines. it also does not hurt to let your supervisors know about it. That wasy when shit happens they mightt be better at understanding. In the US laws protect from discrimination. Just don't tell them beffore hire.

Good luck

At the moment I am in remission from BPD :)

but mostly I live in fear that when in recovery (like I am now) there is the awareness that BPD will come back and I will go into an episode again. I know that I will never be fully free of it, though it does seem to get better as time passes.

When not in an episode my career (personal trainer own company) goes extremely well, a little too well I suppose. I am good at it...I make good money, and I am happy.

But when I get too stressed, and then something happens and I flip out again, it all goes down the pan. I usually lose everything in one go, my mind, any concern for my business, clients... it all goes out the window...

So when times are good I can do anything, but in 'episode' I can't do shit.

I guess that reflects the bi-polar-ishness of BPD really.

Up and down, up and down, like a rollercoaster.

It has all been very good though for about 5 months...and I can hardly believe that I wanted to end my life 5 months ago, and was hearing voices etc.... :wacko:

Just goes to show it can be managed... and you can have a career, though you need a job where you can take 'time out' when it gets crazy :)

work as a auxillary nurse in a hospital at the mo, it wont be a problem as long as you pass an occupational health assessment to say that you're fit for work...they cannot discriminate against mental health problems

I don't know of any restrictions at all. Then again I'm from the U.S. so things could be different over there. I'm a CNA (certified nursing assistant)! :) It's very rewarding work. Interesting field you are choosing to go into, Fish. :)

• 4 weeks later...

:wub: Fish, go for it and continue with the voluntary work - bpd should not be a barrier to you - in fact doing what you enjoy I'm sure will be quite therapeutic and do wonders for your confidence - all the best....

Archived